Training Tool for the 21st Century
StyleDoc is a series of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel templates that you can use to lay out quickly your instructional Workbooks, Instructor's Guide, and Transparencies and/or PowerPoint Presentations. This process completes the third step in developing IDLS-based instructional or training materials.
ESF discovered another need early in its instructional development career:
to provide a method for developers to create courses written by several developers that were consistent and professional looking.
This used to be the responsibility of the developers team of secretaries who took the developers' hand-written yellow legal pads and turned them into cohesive-looking training programs. With the introduction of computers into the workplace, it was often easier for ESF's developers to type up the courses themselves. What initially looked like a cost-saving opportunity, often turned into a nightmare of inconsistent-looking training materials.
ESF recognized immediately the need for a style sheet that all developers could use to create standardized training materials. To that end, ESF now has StyleDoc available to its clients. StyleDoc contains a series of "style sheets" or templates.
StyleDoc Features ...
Use the StyleDoc Templates to provide your instructional or training materials a professional appearance. You can use StyleDoc to:
- Develop instructional or training participant Workbooks that use a specific style designed by ESF (or edit it to fit your specific needs) to help the learner comprehend the materials easily
- Develop Inventory Items (Test Questions) including:
- Multiple Choice and Matching Items
- Directions for before and after Inventory Items and
- Page Reference Model
- Create Cover Sheets
- Create a Table of Contents
- Create Objectives
- Develop a series of Response Sheets to be used either during the validation cycle of the instructional materials or so the materials can be reused by a series of learners
- Develop an Instructor's Guide (PowerPoint Slides as well as Notes) that will enable the instructor to:
- Cover comprehensively all the information the learner "needs-to-know"
- Be highly interactive with learners using a computer-based presentation
- Calculate your Validation Results using an pre-formatted Excel Spreadsheet that automatically calculates percentages and Learning Gains based on the Learners' Pre and Post Inventory Scores.
StyleDoc Benefits ...
With StyleDoc you can:
- Develop new, or update existing, instructional or training materials quickly, easily and efficiently
- Reduce Development Time
- Save time and money in developing instructional or training materials
- Produce higher quality, more consistent-looking training materials
StyleDoc Contents ...
- StyleDoc User's Guide: a ready reference guide on using StyleDoc
- StyleDoc Samples, which include the following Microsoft Word templates:
- IDLS Workbook Sample (IDLS-WB)
- Matching Item Template
- StyleDoc_1-10 Item Keys
- StyleDoc_1-20 Item Keys
- StyleDoc_1-30 Item Keys
- IDLS Instructor's Guide Sample (IDLS-IG)
- IDLS-Response Sheet Samples
- Instructor PowerPoint Presentation or Slide Samples (IDLS-PPT)
- PowerPoint Slide Samples
- PowerPoint Note Samples
- Excel Item Analysis Form:
- Just input your validation scores and the Excel spreadsheet will automatically calculate the results.
- Automatically calculates percentages and Learning Gains based on the Learners' Pre and Post Inventory Scores.
- Sample Task Analysis (generated from TaskOutliner), which was used to create the Sample Module (IDLS-TA).
- You can open this file only from within the TaskOutliner application.
- Place this entire folder in your TaskOutliner Folder.
- StyleDoc Template (IDLS.dot) which contains all the styles used in the Sample Module.
- Place this template into Microsoft Office's Templates folder.
ESF's StyleDoc Workshop...
ESF offers workshops at your site to train you how to use the user-friendly StyleDoc Templates in conjunction with ESF's IDLS-ProTrainer 1 Materials (How to Design, Develop, and Validate Instructional Materials) and its user-friendly software TaskOutliner to develop your training materials (IDLS-Pro Trainer 1 Workshop).
ESF offers two IDLS-related Mini Workshops that enhance the IDLS Process:
- How to Use ESF's TaskOutliner Software:
This Workshop is geared for those who:
- May have already taken the IDLS-ProTrainer 1 Workshop but never used the TaskOutliner Software
- Want to get more in-depth knowledge on how to use TaskOutliner.
- How to Use ESF's StyleDoc Templates:
This Workshop is geared for those who:
- Want to get more in-depth knowledge how to use the user-friendly StyleDoc Templates in conjunction with ESF's IDLS-ProTrainer 1 Materials
I just imported my MS Word checklist into TaskOutliner and immediately printed out a Performance Checklist.
Then, using StyleDoc, I reformatted my Pre/Post Inventories, Cover Sheet, Response Sheets, Workbook, Objectives and TofC.
Joe Reif, Training Director, HMS Host, Bethesda, MD